The fabric for this 1919 blouse came from an old ‘Art silk’ sari that had been converted into a failed 1920’s dress by it’s previous owner…It was given to me to try and rescue…I gave up and made this one instead….
The trimming was a tiny scrap of butter coloured silk dupion
I rather think it all turned out rather William Morris like…
I still have the belt and a proper hem to go, but not bad for a working toile for this pattern… made from leftovers in my stash.
Hehe – next time I wont feel the need to make as many pintucks, or use fabric of two different weights…
I posted it on another page, and one of the comments was that it reminded them of the Gone with the Wind dress….
The next version that I make of this one is totally going to be a homage to Vivian Leigh (and Walter Plunkett….)
I played around with some stripey fabric and a 1937 pattern…Now I need some Katherine Hepburn style trousers
Something for the boudoir ….
It is a dressing cape from 1936 – something to pop over your dress (or undress) while doing your hair and makeup….
I found this interesting back wrap dress at the local op shop looking a bit worse for wear. The shirring elastic across the front neckline had perished, and it weirdly tied from the back around the front, which made it look way too busy or fussy…
I replaced the shirring on the neckline with 3 rows of gathers (firmly anchored) and then changed the ties so now it does up in a bow at the back (pleasingly asymmetrically).
I rather think it will get a new lease on life this Spring!
Drape, drape, drape…. and twirl….
Daughter has been invited to a wedding this weekend – a good enough excuse for a new dress…
The lovely heavy crepe fabric that I used for this was gifted to me – it came rolled up around a pristine calendar from 1957, so I have no idea of what age it might be.
Pattern is Vogue 1102 – Belinda Bellville