William Morris inspiration?

The fabric for this 1919 blouse came from an old ‘Art silk’ sari that had been converted into a failed 1920’s dress by it’s previous owner…It was given to me to try and rescue…I gave up and made this one instead….
The trimming was a tiny scrap of butter coloured silk dupion
I rather think it all turned out rather William Morris like…




Monday: Mend-day

I found this interesting back wrap¬†dress at the local op shop looking a bit worse for wear. The shirring elastic across the front neckline had perished, and it weirdly tied from the back around the front, which made it look way too busy or fussy…

I replaced the shirring on the neckline with 3 rows of gathers (firmly anchored) and then changed the ties so now it does up in a bow at the back (pleasingly asymmetrically).

I rather think it will get a new lease on life this Spring!



Winter weddings

1975 1102

Daughter has been invited to a wedding this weekend – a good enough excuse for a new dress…

The lovely heavy crepe fabric that I used for this was gifted to me – it came rolled up around a pristine calendar from 1957, so I have no idea of what age it might be.

Pattern is Vogue 1102 – Belinda Bellville