Daughter has a University Winter Ball to go to….so I have decided to try and make Vogue 1386 for her….
The first mock up from this pattern is from calico, just to see if I could even get it together (these pattern pieces are amazingly complex – it is like a jigsaw puzzle crossed with origami!)
So far – so good – now I just have to work out the fitting issues for the next mock up, hopefully in some cheap satin to see if it works…and then maybe the final garment will be in velvet……
The bathers made their debut on a balmy Saturday afternoon at Surfers….
Their colour lends itself well to the sea and the sky
It is far too hot to sew – the sewing room isn’t air conditioned – so I have lurking around in the cool in the lounge room, working on some patterns instead.
Recently, I have had a bit of a bathing suit crush…so here are a couple of my latest patterns from the 1870’s listed in my Etsy shop….
The finished costume for tonight’s party – took a while to work it all out, but I finally got there (and realised that I hadn’t included her name rosette in the picture)
It doesn’t quite fit on the mannequin – I couldn’t get the zip up at all, but you get the idea…
Last week I experimented on an open combinations pattern from 1919 – and although they are split from the back waist to the front crotch, they still cover quite well.
The pink trim is from a scrap of Chinese brocade that I bias cut (and then joined many many times). I only just had enough!
Between sweating on whether the bias trim would make the distance and the 26 hand sewn eyelets…this pattern took a bit to get together – but I am rather pleased with the results!
This is by no means a new make – I made it for the Goondiwindi B & S back in 1993… I think you could have wrung out a good Bundy Rum or two after it’s first night – but it was on constant rotation after that for quite a while…
This is now (I think) her 4th time at wearing it – gawd knows how many more wears this humble little black dress will have….
Mmmm…and who wore it best….lol….
I still have the belt and a proper hem to go, but not bad for a working toile for this pattern… made from leftovers in my stash.
Hehe – next time I wont feel the need to make as many pintucks, or use fabric of two different weights…
I posted it on another page, and one of the comments was that it reminded them of the Gone with the Wind dress….
The next version that I make of this one is totally going to be a homage to Vivian Leigh (and Walter Plunkett….)