Patternmaking

It is far too hot to sew – the sewing room isn’t air conditioned – so I have lurking around in the cool in the lounge room, working on some patterns instead.

Recently, I have had a bit of a bathing suit crush…so here are a couple of my latest patterns from the 1870’s listed in my Etsy shop….

Down the rabbit hole

The finished costume for tonight’s party – took a while to work it all out, but I finally got there (and realised that I hadn’t included her name rosette in the picture)

It doesn’t quite fit on the mannequin – I couldn’t get the zip up at all, but you get the idea…DSCN0217a.jpg

Cafe Latte

When things don’t go so well sewing wise, I sometimes ‘dolly frock’ to clear the senses….
Combinations and petti from a 1916 pattern;
I have a big bin of calico cuttings – used and re-used for previous toiles…Once it get to really small scraps, it is perfect for dolly frocking….a bit of leftover lace and latte ribbon and it is done..
Maybe I will even get the chance to work on the nightgown tomorrow..

1916

Coconut ice!

1919a
Last week I experimented on an open combinations pattern from 1919 – and although they are split from the back waist to the front crotch, they still cover quite well.

The pink trim is from a scrap of Chinese brocade that I bias cut (and then joined many many times). I only just had enough!

Between sweating on whether the bias trim would make the distance and the 26 hand sewn eyelets…this pattern took a bit to get together – but I am rather pleased with the results!

Worn in…

This is by no means a new make – I made it for the Goondiwindi B & S back in 1993… I think you could have wrung out a good Bundy Rum or two after it’s first night – but it was on constant rotation after that for quite a while…

This is now (I think) her 4th time at wearing it – gawd knows how many more wears this humble little black dress will have….

Mmmm…and who wore it best….lol….Cus10235a