Madam Gres Vogue Paris Original from 1957

Daughter has a University Winter Ball to go to….so I have decided to try and make Vogue 1386 for her….

1957 (1)

The first mock up from this pattern is from calico, just to see if I could even get it together (these pattern pieces are amazingly complex – it is like a jigsaw puzzle crossed with origami!)


So far – so good – now I just have to work out the fitting issues for the next mock up, hopefully in some cheap satin to see if it works…and then maybe the final garment will be in velvet……


Down the rabbit hole

The finished costume for tonight’s party – took a while to work it all out, but I finally got there (and realised that I hadn’t included her name rosette in the picture)

It doesn’t quite fit on the mannequin – I couldn’t get the zip up at all, but you get the idea…DSCN0217a.jpg

Cafe Latte

When things don’t go so well sewing wise, I sometimes ‘dolly frock’ to clear the senses….
Combinations and petti from a 1916 pattern;
I have a big bin of calico cuttings – used and re-used for previous toiles…Once it get to really small scraps, it is perfect for dolly frocking….a bit of leftover lace and latte ribbon and it is done..
Maybe I will even get the chance to work on the nightgown tomorrow..


Coconut ice!

Last week I experimented on an open combinations pattern from 1919 – and although they are split from the back waist to the front crotch, they still cover quite well.

The pink trim is from a scrap of Chinese brocade that I bias cut (and then joined many many times). I only just had enough!

Between sweating on whether the bias trim would make the distance and the 26 hand sewn eyelets…this pattern took a bit to get together – but I am rather pleased with the results!

Worn in…

This is by no means a new make – I made it for the Goondiwindi B & S back in 1993… I think you could have wrung out a good Bundy Rum or two after it’s first night – but it was on constant rotation after that for quite a while…

This is now (I think) her 4th time at wearing it – gawd knows how many more wears this humble little black dress will have….

Mmmm…and who wore it best….lol….Cus10235a